Thursday, December 26, 2013

Italian Alps/Dolomites – Ammmaazzzing!!!!

First for all, for those that celebrate it – Feliz Navidad (belated)!  Hope you were able to spend the day with friends, family, and loved ones.  Selflessness is the ultimate gift anyone can give during the holidays.  And for those of you who took the time to volunteer or give to those less fortunate, thank you!! 

One of the places I was most energized about going to when I first found out I was moving to Italy was going to the Dolomites – AKA the Italian Alps.  Here is some background 411 so you can understand why this was on my “have to go to” list while living abroad:
 
When I lived in Seattle, CC (Cross Country) skiing became a frequent love of mine during the winter.  I would go every other weekend (or third weekend).  Or even sometimes during the week to avoid the weekend peeps.  It was completely so convenient for me to jump in my car and be at Iron Horse Trail or Snoqualmie Summit with-in 40 minutes.  I can still remember my Cougar passing the semi-trucks while “climbing” the Snoqualmie Pass.  And me yelling out-loud, “Take that you semi –trucks!”  While at the same time, my music blaring.  And my Starbuck’s seven pumps cinnamon dolce coffee in hand (yummy).  :p  When I would arrive at the ski area, I could not help but give my car a “pet” and thank it for getting me there safely. 
 

Go Cougar go!!!

Fast forward to this trip; which is a four and a half hour fast train ride from Rome, followed by a one hour bus ride to get to the Italian Alps.  Yup, a lot different than my 40-minute drive back in Seattle to go play in the snow...  But if you have a passion for something, you do what you have to do to make it happen.  And with that being said, the five and a half hour journey to get to the Italian Alps was totally worth it!!  Yes there are closer places I can go here in Italy, and I will go.  However, I have a feeling they will not even come close to the awesomeness of this trip. 

























 



 
 
It was Thanksgiving weekend.  And the CC Skiing trails were not open, not even groomed.  So snow-shoeing it would be.  In my opinion it is not as good of a workout as CC Skiing, but it is still a totally fierce cardiovascular exercise.  In addition, just like CC Skiing it works your entire body.  And if you plan to be out there all day, and do some vertical climbing you had better be in shape!  Thank goodness for me keeping up with my running and doing upper body strengthening/gym work-outs prior to this adventure.  













 










I have to thank Flavio and Stefan from Catores Alpine School (link listed below) for making this trip such an epic magnificent experience.  Especially Stefan!  Flavio went out of his way to pick me up from the hotel in Bolzano the first day of my adventure.  Yaayyy, I didn’t have to take the bus to Ortisei my first day!  He also lent me some boots that kept my feet warm and dry the two days.  Of course, wool socks are a must as well.  Stefan was my guide during my two days. 


                                   
                                                                 Stefan and Flavio
 
Stefan has a wonderful sense of humor.  And he fed me chocolate to keep me motivated throughout the day.  What I like best about him is he pushed me.  Keep in mind most of the people who have pushed me (to do my best) are fellow runners, skiers, or hikers.  Stefan does more extreme sports such as Ice climbing, and Rock climbing on a regular basis.  Even though I was stoked to have someone so gifted as my guide, I could tell he expected me to push my limits.   
 



 
There were times when I didn’t think I had it in me to keep going.  My arms were so sore, my legs ached, and I felt worn-out.  And I don’t know how he did it (perhaps tempting me with chocolate), but we were able to climb and climb and climb.  The conditions were perfect! The sun was out, and the snow could not have been more powdery.  I decided to take a little break; and try and run in my snow-shoes.  Here is a very short video of Stefan encouraging me/cheering me on to “run.” 
 
 
 

The second day we went to a different place to snow-shoe.  I thought for sure Stefan would be “nice to me” and it would not be such a brutal workout as the day before.  Boy was I wrong!!  Before we even started our snow-shoeing, we had to climb up a dreadful steep hill and more climbing into the wilderness.  With all of our equipment mind you.  The whole time I am thinking, “Gosh, we haven’t even started shoe-shoeing, and I am already dead. 
When we finally started snow-shoeing, the surroundings were a lot different than the Limestone Alps the previous day.  This day was like being back in the PNW – green.  A mixture of Pine, Spruce,and other trees; and they were all around us.  I defiantly felt like I was snow-shoeing in the woods.  This picture was from the day before, but it gives you more of an idea of this day’s shoe-shoeing surroundings. 

 
Even though this was not a full day of snow-shoeing (as the previous day), I was extremely drained and tired at the end.  But, despite that, I still had an astonishing time! 
 
 
 

This post would not be complete without giving the link for Catores Alpine School:
Catores Alpine School does it all – winter sports, summer sports, foreign tours, trekking expeditions, you name it. 

Flavio and Stefan – much gratitude again!!!!  And I will see you again soon!

My next trips will more likely be very similar to this one (playing in the winter elements).  That being said, it may be some time before I add any new post(s) to my blog. 
 
                         
In closing I want to wish each and every one of you a Happy New Year!!  I hope the New Year brings you adventures, fantastic live music/concerts, serenity, and most of all happiness.  Be safe everyone!!
 
                         
 
Here are the rest of the pics from this trip:

And please don’t forget the “Music Videos” tab on here.  Didn’t add any new ones tonight, but will sometime soon! In the meantime enjoy some of my current favs!!
 
Tanti Auguri,
~ Jerrie
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment